Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Off the beaten path...

I'm sure everyone assumed that my first blog post would be about Roscoe's Chicken, since I live in LA. Well, I'm not gonna do that. Don't get me wrong- Roscoe's is a staple in the LA chicken community. It was brought over to the west coast from Harlem in the mid 1970's, so you know its legit. 

Barack O-Roscoe's 

Because I wanted to have a mini- Monday night adventure, I decided to go off the beaten path to a far, far (like 10 minutes away), magical place called KOREATOWN. 


I haven't spent any time in Koreatown, which is unfortunate. Between the plethora of All You Can Eat Buffets (yummo), Korean BBQ spots, and karaoke bars, it has everything you need for a fab, date night vacay. Not to mention, the prices are unbeatable. 

I stumbled upon my chicken bulls-eye and, VOILA! Bibby, meet KyoChon. KyoChon, meet Bibby. I'd never heard of KyoChon before tonight, but there are a few California and New York locations. My standards were high, considering I rarely eat at chain restaurants. Not because I don't like them, but mom and pop's always make you feel like you're at home, ya know?


When I walked in, the first thing I noticed was the good, hood rap music. I think the song playing was Waka Flocka Flame- Round of Applause. If I shut my eyes real tight, I'd think I was in Atlanta. The vibe was young and fun, which is always a great atmosphere for beasting on chicken. I also noticed that for a counter- order restaurant, the decor was modern, trendy, and clean. 

2012 futuristic chicken.

I really liked the fact that they only use free range chicken from local farms. It helps you sleep a little better at night if you know where your chicken came from. 

"I like my chicken like I like my women- natural."- Anonymous

I walked up to the counter and noticed that there were two signature flavors: soy ginger and hot and sweet. I went with the soy ginger because I don't particularly care for anything sweet on my chicken. I noticed at the counter, you can get an additional 10% off of your meal if you like and check into their Facebook page. The 5 wings came to $5.43 including tax. Um... done and done. Affordable and all- natural? I love this place already. Might I add, they have free delivery for folks that live within a certain proximity AND you can text in your order for pick up. 

The chicken did, in fact, cross the road... quick, fast, and in a hurry. 

The unveiling. 

The anticipation.

After the first bite, I knew that these were going to be delish. The combination of soy and garlic was so savory. The soy made them just a little bit sweet. I was surprised that I actually liked the hint of sugar. The meat was super tender and moist (I hate that word, but for the sake of the chicken...). The best part was the size of the wings- I like drumsticks better than flats and they were perfect! 

I peeped a Korean couple eating their wings with chopsticks. If you're going to eat, you might as well eat in style. I'm not that technical when it comes to grubbin' so I went for my usual, pincher- finger method. 

That chicken didn't stand a chance. 

And before I knew it...

Graveyard. 

If you live in LA, check out KyoChon in Koreatown. They're open until 3am, so you can get your late night chix fix. 

Note: Always remember to wash your hands after eating wings. The last thing you want to do is to have stinky fingers and burning eye balls. 

All my love,
Bibby.









No comments:

Post a Comment