Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My first, not so first, white trash Friday.

If you live in LA, you're probably familiar with first Fridays. If you don't live in LA or aren't familiar with this hipster shin- dig, please come for a visit and I'll take you. 

Every first Friday of each month in Venice, the city celebrates the night by keeping businesses open late, they bring out a mess of food trucks, and they have a ton of art on Abbot Kinney Blvd. Abbot Kinney is known, by GQ Magazine, as the coolest block in America. Actually, I would say the coolest block in America is where the guy below lives, but that's why I don't write for GQ. (Abbot Kinney still rules though).

Step off Gosling, he's cooler than you.

So I met my guy friends at a bar called The Other Room. Bars are notorious for having lines wrapped around the block on First Fridays, but luckily my homeboy knew the bouncer, so we walked right in. The bar was dark, packed, and had big beers, so it felt like home to me. 
That's me on the left.

It was midnight and I was turning into a pumpkin, so it was time for me to bounce. After a night of drinking, I usually like to have late night food of some sorts. A drumstick, a burger, a hot dog, a little this... a little that. Unfortunately, to my surprise, the food carts were closing up shop. NOOOO!!

My exact facial expression when there were no food trucks available.

As I'm pitching a fit down Abbot Kinney, I spot a dirty, beat up RV where there were small group of people gathering. ALAS! THE WHITE TRASH FOOD TRUCK. I can't really tell you what else is on the menu because my eyes immediately darted to "the white trash chicken and waffles". They only had two waffles left, so Tillery and I scooped them up. What this consisted of was two, tempura battered, maple syrup soaked chicken breasts, wrapped in a waffle, that was also soaked in maple syrup, like a burrito. Yes. Hallelujah. 

That's hot sauce. 

I proceeded to dunk my chicken and waffle thingie into the hot sauce with each bite. It was heaven. 

I'd marry it... if it would sign a prenup. 

The chicken was tender and crispy and the syrup made it melt in my mouth. The waffle was a great addition. I could taste the real butter they melted on top of it. The combo together was magical... like the day Harry Potter became Harry Potter. 

I devoured it in 3.5 minutes flat. I actually tried to Google and search for this White Trash Food Truck so you guys could follow it, but there's no sign of it... anywhere. Was I dreaming? Did it even exist? Was it the Chicken, the Waffle, and the Wardrobe? I'm not sure... 

Who are they? Where am I?

I guess this means, I'll have to find this secret chicken haven on wheels and report back. In the meantime, I wish you all the best in your quest for something tasty. 

All my love,
Bibby.






No comments:

Post a Comment